Monday, October 5, 2009

My Very Own Magnetic Bulletin Board


I do adore Ballard Designs and when I received a recent catalog I immediately loved these magnetic bulletin boards.  As I looked at them I thought ... I can make that! So, with a few modifications, that is what my weekend was this past weekend and I am pleased with the end result. Mine ended up a bit more... ornate (nobody ever accused me of being a simple girl)



First off, I started with a 12x18 piece of sheet metal from my neighborhood hardware store (approx $7). These pieces of sheet metal come in various "thicknesses", I made sure to pick one on the slightly sturdier side. I had some black and white toile already (free! after I have owned it for more than a year I count it as free! heehee) that patched my black and white bedroom perfectly, and I picked up some velvet ribbon to add as an accent ($3). The more expensive and surprisingly difficult item to find was a 12x18 sized frame ($30). I was hoping to find a more decorative, but you will see how I jazzed it up in my own way.

Using a hot glue gun, I affixed the fabric to the piece of sheet metal. I then criss-crossed the velvet ribbon over the top, attaching when the ribbons crossed. *Note: I ran out of the velvet ribbon and had to go to three stores to find more. Really? Sheesh. Also, I think I would measure better next time. It just doesn't look as polished to me... but a good first try regardless.

The end product.... still maybe just a little bit too plain for my taste, and certainly, plain old refrigerator magnets simply wouldn't do. The magnets on this bulletin board need to be special. Another visit to my craft shop and I found these fun crystal and silver items in the jewelry making aisle, as well as some fun vintage-y medallions ($9) I used them to create some magnets, as well as a pretty little bow on the top corner of the frame.


So now, for roughly the same amount of money, I have a beautiful 12x18 magnetic board to coordinate perfectly in my bedroom, on the wall over my reading corner. I can easily hang pictures, magazine articles, wish lists and of course... inspirations.



Note: There is still time to enter for my Halloween giveaway! See post below...

3 comments:

Corinne Morash said...

I'm completely impressed. WOW!
Can you make me one? LOL...

Sarah Brown said...

So beautiful!!!!
I grabbed your button so I remember to come back often!!!!
Thanks for the visit today.=)

Corinne Morash said...

I got your fixed button!